6.29.2011

Day 3: Ratings Hike


Day 3 of this experiment presented me with a plot twist no one could have seen coming: Oak vomitted everywhere and started running a temperature of over 100.

My first thought: What if his fever reaches 104? I've got to take him to the ER!

Luckily, Joshua was there to derail that train of thought before it went too far. We have a doctor's appointment this morning.

My second thought: This is good. I started this 30 Days thing to better take care of my family, now God's giving me an opportunity to do just that.

But here's a dilemma I'm finding myself in now: How to balance out comforting a sick toddler who just wants to be held with feeding, holding and caring for an infant who also wants to be held? And now that I think of it, how do I balance that with giving attention to my husband who has been working major overtime this week and needs some extra TLC?

Physically, I'm on my own here. When Josh gets done working mind-boggling shifts, he's too tired to change diapers and make bottles. I definitely don't want him to have to make his own supper. This means one of two things--1) someone will have to cry because they're not being held at some point, and 2) better planning will have to go into meals, i.e. prepping while Oak is napping, feeding Bear more at a time so he'll eat fewer meals a day, and so on.

Emotionally, however, I've got all the help I need. The Holy Spirit totally stepped up on this one. I'm tired, but not irritable. I'm doing everything around the house (including new things like double-washing clothes because I didn't realize washing machines don't make vomit disappear, they just distribute it evenly), but I don't feel overworked. Even hearing Oak whine while Bear screams doesn't faze me. And I really thank God for that, because--as any mom can tell you--listening to two babies feed off each other's cries can really eat away at you.

So that's Day 3, and my guess is probably Day 4, too. Tune in tomorrow to see if the producers can capitalize on this exciting twist!

No comments:

Post a Comment